Tuesday 19 April 2016

Let the Music Play



I love music and have ever since I was a kid.  My Dad would play songs on the hi-fi, which became the 8 tracks of my youth. We barely watched T.V. but rather listened to music. I went to my first live concert when I was 13 and the energy in the arena was intoxicating. There's nothing like hearing your favourite bands singing live.

Music is a part of our daily lives, whether we are silencing it as the morning alarm, singing along to the radio on the way to work, or humming along to that awful Muzac in the elevator or in the dentist office. There is such a variety of music and we can access it with a touch of a button. When you hear an old song, a memory will stir and you will be transported back to another place and time.

While living in Japan, my love for music was cultivated with my VIP card at the local karaoke bar. Karaoke is an extremely popular activity in Japan and it became one of my favourite ways to pass the time. You could rent a room with friends and sing by the hour, ordering drinks and snacks as needed. The English selection was limited but a few doozies could still be found on their machines.


*Karaoke bar. These were as popular as Starbucks!

I was fortunate to see a couple of great concerts while living abroad. No, it wasn't J-Pop. I could hardly stomach that shit (with the exception of the group "SMAP" which had more to do with my crush on Kimura Takuya then on their talent. Google him-seriously).

The first concert was KISS at Tokyo Dome. It was January of 1997 and along with 55,000 other crazy fans, we rocked out to "Calling Doctor Love", "Beth", and "Detroit Rock City" (Paul changed the lyrics to Tokyo and naturally, the crowd went berzerk). Seeing them in full makeup and platform boots was something to behold.

The second concert I saw in Japan was Prince.  Hamamatsu was a much smaller venue with only 2300 people. It was during his 2002 World Tour and he played for a solid three hours. That little man is so talented; he played at least 3 different instruments during the concert. My friend Chris was a member of the fan club so got to attend the sound check, stand in the front row and even got to go onstage during the performance. Prince played all of my favourite songs and the show was amazing.


Being Canadian, I have some favourite Canuck bands that I follow. Sam Roberts Band and The Tragically Hip are in my top 10. I've seen both in concert a number of times. Living in Windsor, we are blessed with living just minutes from Detroit, Michigan (blessed?) a popular stop for bands on tour. The Fillmore Detroit and Pine Knob (renamed DTE but will always be Pine Knob to me) are great places to see concerts. We are also fairly close to Ohio and I've traveled to that state on a few occasions to see both Sam and the Hip. They tend to play at smaller venues and the chance to meet them is greater.



*My brother Gerry and I meeting Sam outside of Frankie's bar in Toledo, Ohio (2011). We tailgated outside the bar in my convertible before the show. Parked right behind the tour bus!

My all time favourite band is The Tragically Hip. The 5 member band from Kingston, Ontario has been around since 1984 and I've been a fan for most of those years. The lead singer, Gord Downie is an eccentric front man and seeing them live is quite an experience.

*Meeting Gord for the first time in 2007 in Cleveland, Ohio. 


*Meeting Gord in Windsor wearing a backstage pass around my neck! Show was so good that my sister Jennie and I drove to London (about a 2 hour drive) the next night to see him again. The concert was outdoors, it was pouring rain and we got soaked but still had fun (2010).




No matter where you travel, music is an integral part of the culture. My favourite music while traveling thus far, was in Ireland. It was incredible to visit any pub and there would be live music. Everyone was happy, sitting around enjoying a pint and singing along with the band. People would shout out their requests and the band obliged. Whether they were singing about the "Wild Rover" or the girl with "The Black Velvet Band", their songs tell a tale and it comes across when they sing.



I'm not sure how far I'd travel to see a band I love. The furthest I've gone to date is probably 4 hours. There's just something different about seeing a live performance with the entire crowd joining in the lyrics. Music has changed so much since listening to the 8 tracks in my childhood living room. Even with the price of concert tickets today, I still think it's worth it. So if you get the chance, jump in the car, put on your favourite soundtrack and head to a great show where for a couple hours, you can travel somewhere else; affected and transported by the music.


*Lyrics from one of my favourite Hip songs, Bobcaygeon.

~MT


No comments:

Post a Comment