Friday 27 May 2016

What Happens in Vegas...

       Sin City  Glitzy Outrageous  Larger than life  Gambling Desert                     Entertainment Money Money Money Neon Lights Wild Hot

No matter how you describe Las Vegas, a sure thing everyone can agree upon is that it's one-of-a-kind. Some great movies have been filmed here, numerous weddings performed (there's a chapel on practically every corner), money has changed hands, and everyone knows the saying, What Happens in Vegas, Stays in Vegas.

My first trip to Vegas was in 2003 before my sister got married, and I've returned three times; the most recent trip being earlier this month. Each time I visit it's a different experience as Vegas is constantly changing and growing. If you're looking for a bit of tradition, Fremont Street still offers a flair of the old, classic Vegas.


Places like the Golden Nugget and Binion's Horseshoe are still going strong after all these years. The vibe in old Vegas is completely different from the Strip but it's still a crowded, bustling area.

Whether you come for a bachelor party, a wedding, to golf, shop, gamble, or for a girls getaway, you will find the town caters to your needs. During my first trip to Vegas, we rented a car and toured around, visiting both Lake Mead and Hoover Dam.

Located near Boulder City, Nevada
Vegas is located in the Mojave Desert creating hot, tropical temps

Entertainment is vast and there is something for everyone. Vegas offers everything from a UFC fight, Cirque du Soleil, burlesque shows, impersonators, musicals, magicians, comedy shows to even a Donny and Marie concert. Whatever you are in the mood for, this town has it.

Each trip to Vegas I've gone to see a Prince impersonator. The show is called Purple Reign and all of Prince's greatest hits are exuberantly performed, complete with backup dancers, and a tribute to Morris Day and the Time.


Purple Reign is coming to Detroit, Michigan in June, branching out from its home in Vegas. Since the passing of Prince in April, I'm sure this tribute show is in even greater demand.

I only want to see you in the Purple Rain


If you're a foodie, it's impossible to be disappointed in Las Vegas. There are scores of buffets, diners, and upscale restaurants. Practically every celebrity chef has a restaurant here. One of my favourite spots to visit is Tom Colicchio's Witchcraft located in the MGM. On this latest trip, I ate at Gordon Ramsay Steak located in Paris.

The steak cart brought to each table 
After feasting here, I hit the roulette table for a couple of hours and actually won a bit of cash-just enough to cover the cost of my dinner!

A couple of girls I work with both suggested Battista's Hole in the Wall.  

This hidden gem has been open for over 40 years

Tucked behind the Flamingo hotel just off the Strip, this eclectic restaurant serves traditional Italian fare. Your meal comes with unlimited house wine and the prices are respectable. I recommend it not only for the delicious food and wine, but also for the atmosphere and various photos/items adorning their walls.

Flights to Vegas are relatively cheap and so are the hotels. I stayed at the Flamingo my first trip. Centrally located, the Flamingo is one of the original hotels on the Strip and definitely the oldest still in operation today. I loved the pool here and there's even a wild habitat garden complete with turtles, fish, tropical birds, and of course, flamingos.


No matter what the purpose for visiting Las Vegas, you can't help but be impressed. Touching down at McCarran Airport, you feel like you could reach out and pat the head of MGM's bronze lion or touch the tip of the pyramid at the Luxor. It's an intoxicating and exhilarating city. The energy in this town is addictive and I think everyone should visit at least once.

~MT

9 comments:

  1. Another great blog!! Love Vegas Baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it's a good trip when you are with me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. More like me! Mama Mia way better than Jen's choice of Blue Man

      Delete
    3. That was terrible. Mama Mia much better!

      Delete
  3. I want to go back, too!! Can I be part of the book club for the trip??

    ReplyDelete