Monday 27 February 2017

Are We There Yet?

I find the anticipation of a trip exhilarating. Booking time off of work and then looking online for a destination. Contacting my travel agent (yes I still use a travel agent from time to time). Confirming a destination and place to stay. Working the last shift before a trip and leaving the standard "I'll be out of the office until...." as my email reply. Walking out of work with an extra pep in my step knowing a new adventure awaits.

I pull out my trusty Big Red suitcase and start to get organized. I get the required currency and contact my credit card company that I'll be out of the country. I check the weather and pack the necessary items. I double check my list and make sure that I have everything I'll need.

The day finally arrives. I kiss my family and my dog Kirby goodbye. I head to the airport where I check in Big Red and say a prayer that it'll arrive at my destination. I go through security and make my way to the gate or lounge. I purchase a drink and a couple trashy magazines, catching up on celebrity gossip. I feel the tension leave my shoulders and I start to relax both physically and mentally.

I look around the airport and watch others as they prepare to fly. Where are they going? Are they running from something or towards something? Are they sad to leave or excited to reach their destination? Will they be meeting someone they love upon arrival? All these people with their own purpose and story.

I believe that it is through travel that we find our true selves. We leave the cares of work and home-life behind. We can relax and enjoy our surroundings, slow down, stop rushing and worrying. We are able to relish the sights surrounding us, welcoming unique experiences, a variety of people, a different culture, and above all, a new adventure.

Ireland's calling. Just a couple weeks away. First trip of 2017...I can't wait 🍀 !

~MT

No comments:

Post a Comment