Friday 10 August 2018

Summer Vacation

My friend Cheryl pointed out that I haven't posted for a while. I figured it's because I haven't really done much traveling. During the Summer, I tend to stay close to home and enjoy the pool and backyard.  I was off work for 12 days and decided to enjoy a staycation (yes, it's a real thing).

stay·ca·tion
ˌstāˈkāSHn/
noun
informal
  1. a vacation spent in one's home country rather than abroad, or one spent at home and involving day trips to local attractions.

For the past twelve days, it's been nice to enjoy the pool, hang with my dog, read five books, catch up on HBO's Sharp Objects (it's really good), practice my ukulele and relax. As much as I enjoy traveling, it's sometimes nice to not be on the go, and just chill at home.



My sisters and nephews went on a road trip so my Cockapoo Kirby and I got to "dog-sit" their Bullmastiff, Lucy. Luckily, they get along well, despite the difference in size. Lucy is gentle unless food is involved. Then she'll knock Kirby (and anyone) out of her way.







When they returned home, my sister Bobbie and I took a day trip to Stratford, Ontario. It's located in Southwest Ontario along the Avon River and home to great shops, fine dining, and most importantly, the theatre.



My friend Paula and I try to visit Stratford once a year to see a Shakespearean play. Having studied a play each year in high school, and then two semesters at university, I am a bit of a nerd when it comes to Shakespeare. My sister wanted to see two plays, a matinee and evening show.

The first play we saw was Julius Caesar. I studied this in grade 9 and it all came flooding back to me. "Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears."













Our seats were in the balcony but there really isn't a bad seat at the Festival Theatre. I've watched a number of plays here and am always amazed how they can transform a small, plain stage into what they need to.

This is the stage right after Brutus and others killed Caesar. "Et tu, Brute?"


After enjoying dinner in the downtown core, we returned to the Festival Theatre to see To Kill A Mockingbird. My sister studied this novel in school (grade 8!) and my book club read Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee when it was released in 2015. It was published as a sequel to Mockingbird, the only novel Lee ever published.

Our seats were better for this play and I was enthralled as we watched Scout, Jem, Dill and Atticus perform. I was amazed that the actor who played Brutus in Julius Caesar also played Atticus in Mockingbird! I can't believe that he did both plays in one day and performed two very different roles so well.

The stage was transformed from the Finch's house for half the play, and into a court room for the other half. Even though Mockingbird is based on an event that occurred near Lee's home in 1936, the story is still very relevant today. I think children should read this book as it teaches empathy, and what it means to walk in someone else's shoes.

Stratford is always a great day trip. Hopefully Paula and I can go before the season is done, as The Tempest is also playing.

As my vacation comes to a close, I feel sad that I have to return to work. My Grandmother always told me that "it's not a vacation if it doesn't end". I loved everything about my staycation and feel completely relaxed.  Hope you are all enjoying your Summer and that you got to enjoy either a vacation or staycation.

~MT

No comments:

Post a Comment